Before surgery, your surgeon may require that you complete pre-op diagnostic testing, such as lab work, EKG, etc. To make this convenient, your surgeon’s office will contact you to coordinate your pre-op work up.
Preoperative Health Questionnaire
Please complete the preoperative health questionnaire your surgeon will give you and bring it to your surgery appointment.
Arrange a Ride Home
You will not be allowed to drive yourself home following surgery. Arrange for a responsible friend or family member to drive you to the center and drive you home. The admissions nurse will be able to advise when you will be ready to go home.
No Eating or Drinking
It is crucial that you do not eat or drink anything, including water, within 8 hours of your surgery — unless you are directed to do so by a staff member at High Plains Surgery Center or your surgeon. Food or liquids in your stomach can cause potentially life-threatening complications during anesthesia. Failure to follow this may result in the cancellation of your surgery.
If you have a history of heartburn, esophageal reflux, hiatal hernia, gastroparesis or similar conditions, you should have no solid food after midnight.
Within a Week Before Surgery
One of our nurses will call you prior to your surgery to:
• Confirm your arrival time
• Provide directions to the High Plains Surgery Center
• Answer any questions you might have
• Give you specific pre-op instructions
The nurse will also emphasize the importance of adhering to our requirements about no eating or drinking before surgery.
The Day of Surgery
Remember, do not eat or drink anything within 8 hours before surgery!
Bring with you:
• Medical insurance information and card(s)
• List of medications that you take regularly
• Containers to store your contacts, eyeglasses, hearing aid, etc.
• Identification with picture (driver’s license)
• Co-payment, if required
• Guardianship papers, if applicable
• Your completed preoperative health questionnaire (Download the form here if you have not already)
What else you need to know:
• For your safety, if you develop a cold, fever, respiratory infection or other illness prior to surgery, please call your doctor or High Plains Surgery Center.
• Bathe or shower the morning of surgery. Please be sure your hair is dry before you arrive.
• Do not use hair spray or body lotion.
• Do not apply makeup, especially mascara or lipstick.
• Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothing and shoes. The goal is to have comfortable, non-binding clothes to wear home after surgery.
• Leave valuables such as jewelry, earrings, watches, and large amounts of money at home.
• Arrive at least one hour before your surgery. We will complete the necessary paperwork for billing.
• After you arrive, we will escort you to the pre-op area where you will get ready for your surgery.
• At this time, we will review your preoperative health questionnaire and the results of any tests and procedures that were completed prior to your arrival at the surgery center.